"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What is Sin? by Michelle Peterson- GUEST BLOGGER

What is Sin?

Wow, that is a hard question, isn’t it! I mean, we have the 10 Commandments…..we have the 613 Laws in the Old Testament. We have what  "Mama" said. But which is it? Growing up Southern Baptist, I thought just about everything was a sin. Along with things like murder , adultery and there was drinking a drop of liquor and dancing. To some in our congregation, clapping hands during worship or getting too excited about something the pastor said was frowned upon, and if the deacons were seen smoking a cigarette there was much whispering about how that “looked”. I grew up wondering why my Catholic friends drank wine at church, and why some of my friends talked about dancing in the Spirit at church or worse yet……speaking in something called tongues. And don’t even get me started on the wildly rumored snake charming and chicken killing in those “Holiness” churches!

Looking back, I think I grew up quite oppressed in many ways. My view of God was of a big man who sat in judgment of me and ready to condemn me to the pit of Hell if I missed church on Sunday morning or said a four letter work.

After growing up, moving 6,000 miles away from home, and meeting so many people from different walks of life than my small town strictly sanctioned life in rural Georgia., I began to realize that there was something going on.

I had moved nearer to God, then away from God, then closer to God, and even almost totally abandoned God at some points, and yet I still felt that He was out there somewhere watching me and shaking His head at all my failures. No matter where I went tor what I did, He was judging me, and making a huge list of all my failures and sins. ESPECIALLY THE SINS! As a military wife, I went to more than my share of parties and did many things that I will always regret. Going through a divorce so far from home put me at my lowest point. I was doing whatever it took to survive another day, just trying to get through the pain. I was sure my list of sins was being published in church bulletins around the world.

After God, in all of His goodness and grace that I can recognize now, picked me up out of my muck and mire and set me straight on my way again, I began to realize where I was.

Although I accepted Christ as a young child, and knew that He lived in my heart, and was sure of my eternal salvation, I realized that was not enough. I was living in my safety net Christian state, loving God enough to thank Him for saving me from the pit of Hell, but not understanding His abundance and how much MORE there was to life in Him.

I entered a state of trying to please everyone endlessly, trying to live life as a perfect Christian. I read, I searched, I studied, I prayed, I did everything I could to try to grasp what God was and how to be better in His eyes. I was pretty sure I had conquered this sin thing. I had it all together. I had gained favor in God’s eyes, I was just sure of it. But what was I really doing? I’ll fill you in next Wednesday 


Michelle Peterson:
I am a happily married, stay at home mother of a 12 year old daughter. I was born and raised in Southeast Georgia before becoming a Navy wife for over 10 years. I strive to live purposefully, doing as God directs and leads me. I enjoy reading, writing, scrapbooking and cooking. It is my desire to live a life pleasing to God in all areas and grow in His teachings..

Visit her at-
http://www.scrappygypsy.blogspot.com







3 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle, thank you. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, You are hitting the nail on the head!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very GOOD. You are certainly an asset to the blog.

    ReplyDelete