"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Small Steps Lead to Promise!

Happy Friday Everyone!
There is something about Friday's that make you feel happy and excited!  Maybe it is the promise of some much needed rest after a long grueling week of work.  Or maybe it is the time you are anticipating spending with a friend or loved one.  Whatever it is, Friday seems to be the universal day of smiles!

As we go into the weekend, I pondered what this week has been like for myself.  As some of you may know, at the beginning of this week, I watched my oldest daughter get on a plane to go live with her dad permanently.  It was in fact, one of the HARDEST things I have ever had to do.  A whirlwind of emotions were stirring inside, anticipation, sadness, grief, anger, hope, you name it!  But the one that stood out the most to me was HOPE.  I have learned to keep HOPE before me in my life because it is the one thought that keeps me in motion. Meaning, it keeps me motivated to move on to brighter days ahead.

It was a STEP of faith for me to send her away because I didn't know for sure and still don't know the end result.  I can only HOPE for the best and wait for it with anticipation and with perseverance as I wait for the promise of God to move across her life.   In the book of Roman's in the bible it states in Chapter 8:24 , " But if we hope for what we do not see with perseverance, we will wait for it eagerly.

Perseverance is key.  We must be willing to work towards that hope, push past normal circumstances or overwhelming feelings to get to that which we are hoping for.  I was thinking about Joshua in scripture and how he too had to take a small step of faith towards hope.  If you read Chapter 3 of Joshua, you see that God commands him to crossover the Jordan River.  Well, it was not a small feat in the least.  The Jordan River at harvest time was at flood stage, but yet God was requiring not only Joshua to cross over the river but for him to lead the whole nation of Israel.  Can you imagine the responsibility and pressure he was feeling?

If you read the rest of Chapter 3, you will see that as Joshua prepared the Israelite 's for this challenge , he was looking to the Lord for His provision, including God in His plan.  He had the Israelite 's consecrate themselves, in other words, "Pray up people!"  As Joshua and Israel began to cross over,  the waters were raging past them but with no fear, Joshua took one step into those fierce waters and a remarkable thing happened, the waters from upstream stopped flowing and piled up.  This was a miracle!  God had been faithful to Joshua's obedience.  Joshua and the Israelite's crossed over into the Promise Land that day! Joshua's hope persevered!

What are the lessons of this story that are pertinent to hope and to our lives?  First of all, in order to have hope, you must be willing to persevere and wait for it, work towards it.  Joshua held the hope for the nation of Israel that they would enter into a better land, a better life ahead.  Secondly, Joshua took his faith and put it into motion. More importantly here is that Joshua was being obedient to what God asked of him, which is the 3rd point. Of course he was scared and he did not have all the answers, but he knew he didn't have to.  He had to trust God with the result, which is the final lesson, trust has to be activated.
Let's review:
1-Hope
2- Faith
3-Obedience
4- Trust
These were the same characteristics I had to display in my daughter's situation.  I had the hope that her life would be fulfilled with the promises God had for her, but I had to put that faith into action and be obedient to what I felt God was requiring of me that day.  In the end, I had to trust God that this was the best thing for her and I.

Life is never easy and we will have our trials, but if we learn to have hope, it can lead the way to promise!
What is iT that God is asking you to have hope with today? Are you willing to persevere to wait for that promise that awaits?

Romanns 5:4-5  " We also rejoice in our suffering because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character and character hope! And hope does not disappoint us because God poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given to us.

Have a HOPE filled Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment