"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Got Legal Rights?

There is something to be said about rainy days. I just love them! The sound of the rain hitting the roof is like someone whispering to me,"Take the day off and relax!" You don't have to tell me twice! The cloudy dismal day gives me a reason to light some candles, curl up with a cozy blanket, good book and call it a day!

This past week here in the Mojave Desert has been a week of this fantastic rain. When you haven't seen rain in almost a year, it becomes a cherished phenomenon. The Mojave gets most of its rain fall in the winter months between October to March. Rainfall in the Mojave is very changeable from day to night, and can range from 2.23 to 2.5 inches a year.

In my relaxation and reading time, I had the chance to dig more into the book of Romans, written by the Apostle Paul. Something incredible stood out to me today as I read the verse, Romans 1:17. I wanted to share it because I was compelled by the truth to tell you your rights as a Child of God.

Let me first begin by asking you a question. If you knew you were being sentenced to death because of a crime you had committed, would you want to have the best legal representation possible? Of course, you would. It would be a matter of life and death. This is why we hire lawyers, to educate us and represent our legal rights.

Well, what if I told you that the "righteousness from God" is a state of "being in the right" or declared "not guilty" in relationship to God.( Romans 1:17) It is a legal term. Basically stating your legal rights in spiritual matters.

Interesting, don't you think? Here is the thing that we need to understand and take heart in, not only for ourselves but for others too. The devil in the spirit realm holds legal rights over you if you are not saved. His rights will be exercised to sentence you to death if you don't choose Christ as Savior. So, your verdict is death! Death in your physical body as well as your spiritual one. BUT if you chose Jesus Christ to be your legal representative, then HE just won your case from death. Your verdict will surely be a victorious, "NOT GUILTY!" In other words, you are off the hook, you go free, forgiven of all your sins and crimes when you stand before the God of all the earth on Judgment Day.

HEAVY stuff, huh? I know you may not be use to me speaking like this, but if you truly know me, I have never been one to step around the truth, especially in these last days. My love for you is that you would not only choose Christ as Savior but that you would know Him now in this life and live abundantly.

Why is this so important to understand not just for yourself but for others too? Well, because you have the opportunity to tell others who legally protects you, Jesus Christ. He holds your rights for eternity. You need Him on on your legal side to fight for your life. When you choose Christ, you just legally contracted yourself to an agreement with God that He would spare you from the judgment that will come in the end. You will not be judged, but instead, be set free from all your sins. To live all eternity with Him!

I guess one of the visions I hold in my head is this, before me, I see the Highest Court in the land with God as Judge. All the people are seated as they wait for their case to be heard. As I sit there and wait to stand before God myself, I watch so many people before me go and I hear,"Guilty!" being spoken over and over again. Some of them, I recognize as friends and even family members. They turn to look at me and ask, " Why did you not tell me about my rights? You had your rights told to you, why did you not tell me mine?" And I literally have no answer to give! Then, comes my turn and although my verdict will be,"Innocent, Go Free," I somehow can't rejoice in my victory. Instead I am filled with grief.

I don't tell you this story so that you are plead with guilt or shame for not sharing the gospel of salvation with others. For there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus. God always gives us another chance. He is patient and forgiving like that. However, I tell you this, so you know that our time is short here on this earth and as each day passes, God will give you another opportunity to share the rights of others with with them. The Apostle Paul was determined and committed to spread the gospel to others. To the point, he died because of it. For most of us, we will not endure such a price to pay.

How do you share the gospel you might ask? Well, I don't have all the answers. Sure, I have a "religious" one, get your bible out and tell them salvation scriptures, etc.,etc. Yes, that works well. But, I believe that if your heart is truly in the right place and focused on God's love for others, I am praying that the Holy Spirit will guide you with the right words. I distinctly remember the story of the thief on the cross with Jesus. Jesus simply shared the hope and forgiveness with the dying thief, no scriptures were used, but just Jesus's love and compassion shared.(This story is found in the Gospels) Just take a step of faith and watch God use you. Don't make it this religious, "Hell Fire and Damnation" act or this rigid act that takes away from relating to a human being. That never works and God is not like that. He is a gentle, patient, loving God. Shoving it down people's throats only keeps them from Christ. God is in the business of drawing them with His love using the Holy Spirit through you.

Simply, just share the Love of Christ through your example and from that God will guide the rest. This,I am sure of! I have had the honor of witnessing to a few people about Christ. Each one was different, but the end result was beautiful and personal, pointing to love and forgiveness in Christ!

Will you do it? Will I do it? My prayer is, "Please Lord COMPEL us to do so and give us the opportunity to be faithful to share truth and our rights in Christ with others!" There have been many times in my walk that I have not shared for whatever reason, fear, shame or just plain ignorance, but "To Whom Much is given, Much is required!"

May we all understand our responsibilities to not only share the love of Christ but more so our legal rights bound to the Father in Heaven!

Have a blessed, hope filled and righteous day! Don't worry tomorrow's blog won't be so Heavy, but sometimes the truth is necessary. May it do what it is called to do in each of us, transform us and compel us to Christ!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful illustration. So simple and clear for even the simplest of us! Love the picture you have put in my mind of the courtroom.
    Gives me much to ponder on. The best thing to do with my mind. Ponder on God and His Word.

    ReplyDelete