"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ready, Faith, Set Goals!



While growing up I was taught to set a goal and achieve it. This simple rule of thumb brought me much success in life. I merely wrote my goals down, made a plan of action and set a deadline.  Pretty simple  procedure.  Today, I still follow that agenda and have even passed on that advice to my children.  The Word of God tells us in Habakkuk 2:2-3, " Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald will run with it.  For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it;it will certainly come to pass."

Tonight, I came across another passage of scripture about faith and it was one of those truths that I had to stop and ponder.  I felt like there was some deeper revelation the Lord wanted to share with me.  In the book of Romans, verse 1:17 states, " For in the gospel a righteousness from GOD is revealed from faith to faith;as it is written," But the Righteous  man will live by faith." First off, we need to understand that faith is the substance of things not seen but yet hoped for.

There are so many things in my life that I have had faith in.  I am not even talking spiritual things at this point.  For instance, I had faith to believe that if I worked hard and got an education that it would pay off as an adult.  The military gave me the opportunity to achieve that.  Also, I believe that it is important to save your money for a rainy day. So, every month, my husband and I set aside money for various things.  Another belief I hold true is that eating right and exercising will prolong your life.  Exercise in some form has always been a part of my life. However, some seasons more then others. 

My point is, I took action towards the things that I believed in.  I took steps to make those things happen in  my life.  For me, it was an easy thing to do because I had the faith to believe that it was purposeful and meaningful  action to take.   Why am I bringing this up, you might be asking?  Well, because  as I began pondering the non-spiritual beliefs in my life, I began to see a pattern.  Those things were not hard for me to do.  I just disciplined myself to them because I knew they would some how prosper my physical life .  And I was correct, it did.

What bothered me though was that when it came to my faith with things spiritually, I was not as successful or willing to act.   For example, I have always doubted my gift in writing.  I know for some of you, you might not believe that.  But it is true.  I struggled in having the faith that God really wanted me to use this gift for Him .  I lacked the faith that I could be used in a way that could actually make a difference in His Kingdom. I had all kinds of excuses and when I had kids, it just made it that much easier-LOL!    It doesn't make sense to me.  God gives each of us a special purpose in life.  No one person is alike, just like snowflakes. For years, I have allowed my lack of faith in God to equip me to serve Him in that manner.

We each carry unique ,spiritual and physical gifts that are paired perfectly with our  personalities.  God did this to formulate a plan for His Kingdom and how it would run, etc. He knows our end from the beginning . His master plan is being articulated right now, even as I type this blog.  It is humbling to know that the God of all the earth took the time to make me, "me," and you, "you."

The problem we have in the Christian community is that we fail to tap into that potential and God given destiny.  Myself, like others have an easier time believing adds on television about some silly product  then we do the Word of God or the promises over our lives.  We can put into action a family vacation  or Insurance plan easier then we can our own spiritual lives. Hello, I am preaching to myself here too!

Enough is enough Children of God!  We must stop living in and of this world and start living in Christ!  He is the ticket to our destination.  If Romans 1:17 is truth, then lets put it into action NOW!  The righteous man will live by faith, SO, are you Ready, Faith, Set Goals? I am! 

What is it that God is asking of you this year  by faith to put into action based off your obedience to Him?  Faith requires obedience, no two ways about it.   Obedience is always rewarded by God. What is your call in life?  What are your gifts?  This week, I dare challenge you to write them down and work towards them, no matter how difficult they may seem.

How?
1) Pray and ask God what it is He is requiring of you by faith to do?
2)Write it down and commit to taking steps to fulfill that requirement.
3) Be held accountable to someone
4)Persevere!
5) Have faith that you know God will complete it in you!

There is a whole world out there waiting for you to transform it.   We simply do that by changing ourselves first and from that, the world changes around us.  God uses the faithful!

My prayer for you today is that you will walk by faith TOWARDS your destiny in Christ!  You may not know exactly how to do it, but it takes just one step towards God to figure it out.

Joshua took that  ONE step into the River Jordan and from that he entered into the Promise Land,  Peter stepped out of the boat and walked on water, Noah built an ark for a flood he did not know for sure was truly coming. Faith moves mountains, no matter how high you perceive them to be! God can move those mountains for you, but you have to be willing to trust Him in the process.

What does your step of faith look like.? It might simply be to make a call to a friend or family member that you need to forgive or be forgiven by.  Or it might be to volunteer for a position you feel led to do but don't feel equipped to do.  I don't know what that is for you my friend, but God does and I am believing that as you ask, you will recieve and answer.

May you walk as a blessed and Righteous Child of God today and may you know that faith will lead you to things you never dreamed possible for yourself.   Because that is how much God loves you! Now, READY, FAITH, SET GOALS!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. Notes to self are useful. Now to remember to look at them every day!
    I'm not goal oriented, so I need this. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think goals are important, and if we set goals and celebrate reaching even the smallest one, it encourages us to keep going! PRESS ON!

    ReplyDelete