"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What is Sin- Part 2...by Michelle Peterson(GUEST BLOGGER)


Last week, I shared a little bit about my background with you, which has largely impacted the way I have looked at right and wrong my entire life. To me, sin was a large blanket term for just about anything that was fun or enjoyable. It was vague enough that it caused a great amount of confusion, which led to tons of feeling like a failure and loads of guilt and pain. To me, sin was something I couldn’t fully understand, and therefore it was something that I couldn’t do my best to avoid.
This changed for me very recently. I would like to share with you what my pastor shared with us a few weeks ago, which has been a truly life changing for me. It has cleared up my definition and understanding of what sin is, and showed me a truly simple way of knowing what sin is and what it is not.
You ready for this?
Brace yourself,
This is too simple.
Sin is anything that draws you away from God.
That’s it.
Told you it was simple.
Now I am not talking about things that we all know are wrong, such as murder, adultery, stealing and so forth. Those things are not only against God’s law but also our moral codes and “legal” laws.
It takes some self evaluation and examination to discover what is and is not sin, but when you use that guideline, it makes it crystal clear. Suddenly, it isn’t a vague concept of right and wrong or a huge list of rules to follow. It is what God shows you about yourself and what you need to change in your life.
Sin is anything that distracts you from God, or in other words something that you place as an idol instead of giving God His rightful place. It could be the love of money, or a possession. It could be a hobby or a habit. In some cases, it is another person or a job.
I know this is going to create controversy and generate some raised eyebrows, but I am asking you to examine yourself and see what sin you commit on a regular basis. Not many of us are serial killers, but we all have something that God is trying to change in our lives. Maybe it is something we say, or something we do. Ask God to show you what He wants you to see.
Next week I want to give some specific examples of what I am referring to and I hope you will share your thoughts on this.

Michelle Peterson:

I am a happily married, stay at home mother of a 12 year old daughter. I was born and raised in Southeast Georgia before becoming a Navy wife for over 10 years. I strive to live purposefully, doing as God directs and leads me. I enjoy reading, writing, scrapbooking and cooking. It is my desire to live a life pleasing to God in all areas and grow in His teachings..

Visit her at-
http://www.scrappygypsy.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. my pastor in Ohio was constantly talking about this, but sometimes you have to hear it in a different way in order for your brain to really register, or your heart for that matter, to register it as a truth. WOW! Light bulb moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I loved every word of it and it is soooo true. You are the best!! I am thankful for the knowledge that God has given you for this and the first blog you wrote. Ut is truely a great gift from God and I am so proud of you for using it in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it Michelle- keep sharing sis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Short, simple and sweet. The best sermons are.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete