"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Run Forest Run! by Kimchi Blow



Back in October of 2009, I ran my first half marathon in Long Beach, California. It was a day I will never forget! I had challenged my body beyond anything it had ever done before. Crossing the finish line was the most exhilarating experience. I loved seeing and feeling the pay off of all the hard work and commitment I had put in over the 6 months of training.
I learned a lot about myself and my body during training days. Some of which has paid off for me spiritually. One of the biggest things I learned was overcoming my flesh. There were many days I had to run long miles and before I even got out on the pavement, my body was already screaming, “NO WAY!” On those days, I had to literally talk out loud and convince myself with positive affirmations to get myself moving. The most important part of that was physical motion while speaking out loud. It was like the two had to connect, the mind and body! Believe me when the Word says that our words bring forth life or death. Had I gone with negative thoughts and words, I would have most likely never run. Trust me; running is more mental than physical, at least for me that is. Actually, that can be said about most things in life. Our minds can be a powerful tool used for us or against us.
When our minds rule our bodies, we can “think “ourselves past any physical obstacles. Maybe that is why the Apostle Paul told us to hold our thoughts captive to what Christ says ( 2 Corinthians 10:5) and not what we think. The power lies within the mind of Christ. Learning to tap into that discipline of the mind can literally change you forever.
Today, I still use this training concept for my spiritual life too. I have put myself into spiritual training. God ‘s Word tell us , “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.” ( 1 Corinthians 9:25) Needless to say, we are running the race for Christ and He is the prize we are running after. Our spiritual finish line is Eternal life in Him. Everyday I am challenged with life. Need I say more? Life is hard, no two ways about it. Without a strategic plan and discipline of training, I won’t make it and most likely you won’t either.
What this looks like for me daily is having goals set to keep me in the Word of God and also time for praying and journaling the thoughts He gives me. I must exercise this in the mornings because that is the only free time I get before I am bombarded with the demands of my family. I simply set the alarm and run with Jesus! Yes, there are days that my body is screaming for more sleep, but just like I did when I was training for my race; I simply get physically moving with bible in hand and positive affirmations out loud. The experts say that it takes 21 days to form a habit; I say with Christ’s strength, habits are things that happen and are not formed!
Train with purpose! Know your goals and obtain them with passion. Know your strengths and weaknesses and know Jesus can overcome them in you. He is just looking for a partner to run with. Will you run the race set before you? What things are you willing to give up this week to go into strict training? What goal is it that Christ wants to accomplish in you? Are you ready to run the race with perseverance?
I hope to see you at the finish line. BTW- I will be the one at the refreshment line with the Crown of Righteousness on!

3 comments:

  1. I think we should change that to Run Kimchi Run! See you at the finish line. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome post! I had no idea we were neighbors! I oblivious that Ft Irwin was so close to where we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle and Joann- your comments literally keep me writing....Thanks for your encouragement and supoort- Bless you and Joann- keep walking girl- love those sketchers!

    ReplyDelete