"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Scheduling the Simple Life…. By Kimchi Blow



As humans we live on coffee and schedules. At least this chicky does!! It makes me wonder what life was like before both were ever created. This past week, I have taken a close look at my schedule. Honestly, I was surprised at where I spent my time and more so, where I didn’t! It was sort of like keeping a food journal. I wrote down where I spent my time, what I spent it on and how much time it took. Before I knew it, I realized I had over indulged in some areas that were not, let’s say, "Praise Worthy!" But it wasn’t in areas that I normally thought would be a temptation to me like, television, phone, computer, etc., but I found that my time was being spent just being “busy.”
“Busy little bee!” is what my mother would say to me.  How right she was. Ugh- don't tell her I said that!-LOL!  My time this week was being spent just keeping busy with laundry, dishes, playing with kids, organizing, reading, or catching up on something. It was like my mind never had time to rest because I had bought into the lie that productivity was important. After all, I couldn’t be non- productive because that would mean I was lazy, right? Why do we buy into this lie? The world tells us that we have to be productive in order to be successful. Sometimes for me it is simply a pride thing, just saying!  However, God tells us  in His Word, “To Be Still (stop striving) and Know He is God.”(46:10)
I will be honest with you; I am not one to just” be still”. It is not in my nature. I remember my mom having to sit beside me, constantly telling me as a kid, “just be still, already!” Again, I am use to being in motion, doing something or thinking about what needs to be done. My mind at times has a hard time coming to a place of rest. However, we must train our minds to rest. When we do this, God can truly come in and speak to us in that small quiet voice that can't be heard over the busyness of life! We can suppress truth by not having the time to tap into it to begin with-Hello!! Can I get an Amen?

  I know the times that I have been disciplined(yes, disciplined!) enough to rest, I have been truly blessed by what the Lord spoke to me or how I have felt afterwards by the peace that came with His Spirit.You can't get that driving down the road to pick up the kids from soccer practice or watching the news on TV.
Jesus so often went to a quiet place ,usually in the mornings to go be with his father. He found it necessary to seek God from the busyness of His ministry and be refilled by His Heavenly Father. If Jesus, God’s son, who supernaturally was graced to do divine works here on this earth needed to rest, how much more do we? Makes one really think, huh? Jesus understood how much the daily grind stole from Him in energy and peace. He tapped into a greater resource for that rejuvenation He needed DAILY, not Starbucks ,a great television show or a self help book! Believe me, Starbucks was not around then (but it was already being thought of-thank you Jesus!-lol!) However, I would like to imagine that Jesus and I could throw down on a great conversation over some Lattes if He was still here in the flesh! I can hear Him now, “Don’t worry about paying, this one is on the House!-lol)

As you continue through this week, take a good look at where you spend your most time. You will be surprised how much time gets robbed from God.(Ouch- yes, robbed!) Begin to reschedule simplicity back into your life! It starts with GOD! Take the time to meet with God in the morning and get filled up with His presence, His Direction and wisdom.  It is better then a great exercise routine or hot cup of  coffee any day of the week! Why do you have to have that gourmet meal that takes hours to prepare or why do you have to have the whole house cleaned before Friday? Whatever it is that is keeping you from the simple life- Reschedule it!  Instead, take the time to BE STILL! Stop striving to be and just BE!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for saying laundry, there is some upstairs waiting for me. Thank you also for reminding me to be still. I need to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joann too for being faithful to read my blogs. You make it worth while to write! Oh, and I have laundry too and it can wait!-LOL! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete