"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Welcome to "Hope on the Horizon." This blog is created to be a resource that will help you become inspired, motivated, encouraged and transformed into the person God created you to be.

Sometimes in life when we look onto the horizon we may not have that clear, beautiful sunset staring back at us. Instead, we might have an image of hopelessness and despair. As a Military wife and mother of 4 children whose ages range from 2-17, I am familiar with the stresses life throws your way! My past horizons have not always been so bright. But they helped shape me into the woman I am today . Having survived being orphaned in the streets of Vietnam, domestic abuse, divorce , aftermath of abortion and even widowhood, I have learned to persevere and grab hold of my destiny, no matter what the cost! From these places of pain and trials, I have become a woman whose passion is to bring the gift of hope and encouragement to others through inspirational words, practical tips and advice.

No matter what your present horizon is, there is always hope for a better future. All things are possible when you allow yourself the opportunity to be all you were created to be. So, please come along for a journey where the destination is not always known but the trip itself is worth every bump in the road to get there.
Hope is just on the Horizon!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

“Signing Up for the Race” by Kimchi Blow



There is a lot more to running a race then just running.  It entails a lot of preparation, commitment and hard work.  Making a commitment and saying” yes” to the challenge is where it all begins. Last week, I talked to you about my experience with running my first half-marathon.  The disciplines I learned through my training were priceless and have proved profitable into my spiritual walk too.
One of the first things I did was make the commitment to run the race in the first place.  Did you know that just 1 % of the population will run a half- marathon?  Believe me, this was a step of faith for me because I had never ran more than a few miles at one time in my life. So, the thought of me running 13.1 miles was daunting and tiring just thinking about.  I knew there was going to be a lot of hard work and sweat ahead, but more importantly I knew that it started with a “yes!” Sometimes for me , that is always the hardest challenge. Fear wants to rule and say, “NO!”   Somehow my faith would follow through; at least that was my plan! I have learned that once faith is activated it requires action to follow!
 At any rate, I found a half- marathon that I was interested in over the internet.  The one in Long Beach, California proved the most eye-catching and let’s say the most achievable one.  The attractiveness was   it appeared to have a flat course along the coast line.  Trust me; I was looking for the easiest running course I could find! Just saying!  My thought process was that if I had to run the 13.1 miles in the first place, then I would at least enjoy the view as I ran, anything to keep my mind off the pain!
Well, needless to say, I downloaded the registration, signed the check for the race fees and placed it in  a stamped envelope.  BAM!!   I was committed, signed up.  There was no turning back now! My point is this, so many times in our lives we are faced with challenges.  Some of them are in our control and some are not. Whatever the case, we still have a choice to make.  Will we commit to the challenge ahead, no matter what it takes?  Walking by faith and not by sight requires you to say “yes” to God in whatever circumstance you find yourself in.  You are saying, “yes” to trust Him to provide the provision and the grace to see you through. 
As Christians, the day we give our lives to Jesus, we literally sign up for the Christian Race . The race itself is a course we have never ran before.  It has a lot of uphill challenges and the miles seem endless at times.  However, we must run the race with perseverance.  Signing up and saying “yes” to the race can prove to be the biggest hurtle, but you can have peace in knowing that we have a pace setter running it with us the whole way, Jesus.   He will be the one guiding and pacing you along the way.  He will make sure you have the water breaks you need and the motivation to get to the finish line. He will prove to be your biggest cheerleader!  As long as keep your eyes fixed on Him, the race itself can be an exhilarating one.  Better than that, the rewards prove to be eternal! 
Be encouraged because Hebrew 12:1 says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”  What is it today that God is asking you to say, “Yes” to? What commitment is He asking of you today?  No matter what it is, say, “yes” and commit yourself to Jesus.  He then will commit that you finish victoriously!
Stay tuned for my next blog, “Gearing up for the Race”. Have a blessed Monday

2 comments:

  1. I really like this post! I have never even run a mile, much less 13, but I admire you for doing so! The race for Christ however, I am running with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sis! I am praying for you for tomorrow. Let me know how your surgery goes! Love you and will miss your posts-LOL! BUT take your time, I have a feeling while you are laying around you will be inspired-:)

    ReplyDelete